What is Separation Mediation?
Divorce, even one conducted amicably through divorce mediation, signals the end of the marriage. However, there is another path if you decide you can no longer live together but do not want the finality of divorce. That path is legal separation. Legal separation allows you to live apart from your spouse while still remaining legally married. However, you will still have to decide important issues like child custody and equitable distribution of assets. This is where it is helpful to seek separation mediation. A skilled separation mediator can aid you in resolving these outstanding issues in an amicable and less stressful way compared to pursuing divorce. Steven B. Menack has decades of experience conducting separation mediation and making the process as straightforward and stress free as possible for both parties and any children involved.
Our Separation Mediation Services
In separation mediation, Mr. Menack works with both parties in order to come to a mutually satisfactory agreement on a range of issues including:
- Equitable Distribution of Assets and Debts
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Parenting Time
As a separation mediator, Mr. Menack will not represent either party but will instead facilitate a dialogue in order to help both parties involved come to a fair and equitable agreement on all the outstanding issues in their case. Once all the details have been decided, the mediator will assist in drawing up a separation agreement and the couple can move towards legal separation.
Benefits of Legal Separation Over Divorce
The key difference between legal separation and divorce is that although you are living apart, you are still considered legally married. This has several benefits over divorce, including:
- Religious Reasons – You or your spouse may object to divorce on religious on moral ground.
- Tax Benefits – You and your spouse will still qualify for the tax benefits marriage provides.
- Healthcare and Insurance Benefits – One spouse can remain eligible for the healthcare and insurance benefits of the other spouse. Note that there is sometimes fine print that disallows legally separated couples from gaining these benefits.
- Government Benefits – One spouse will soon become eligible for their spouse’s government benefits such as Social Security.
- Potential for Future Reconciliation – If the couple feels that they may reconcile their differences after time apart.
- Less Stress Than Divorce – Some couples may find separation a less stressful process compared to divorce.
Benefits of Separation Mediation
Separation mediation has several benefits over divorce, including:
- Cost – Separation mediation is a much less costly process than divorce. Additionally, Steven B. Menack charges no retainer fees.
- Time – Mediation can take only a few months. Divorce, on the other hand, take easily end up taking over a year.
- Stress – Separation mediation as a process is generally much less stressful and contentious than divorce. This is especially beneficial when there are children involved. It is easier to come to an amicable agreement when a skilled mediator is assisting the couple in sorting out their issues.
Contact Steven B. Menack Today
Separation mediation helps couples move on with their lives in a collaborative and positive manner without total dissolution of a marriage. When it comes to mediation, Mr. Menack has helped many couples reach a fair agreement together over the course of 25 years. If legal separation and separation mediation seem like the right call for you and your spouse, do not hesitate to contact us in order to find out more about the mediation process.